sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

DASH LIGHTS INTERMITTENT FLASHING WHICH CAUSES POWER

Customer Question

DASH LIGHTS INTERMITTENT FLASHING WHICH CAUSES POWER STEERING TO FAIL AND TRANS TO BANG INTO GEAR
JA: Have you checked the power steering fluid? Will the wheel turn at all?
Customer: FLUID OK - WILL TURN WITHOUT ASSIST
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2009 G5 GT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO AT DEALER NOW - TCM CONNECTIONS CHECKED OK - TRANSMISSION MODULE CAUSING COMMUNICATION FAILURE
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the TCM is causing bus communications to stop it's because it is either corrupting communication or it could be shorting the bus network to power or ground. In more rare cases I've seen modules try to ground through the communication bus because of a poor ground.

If there are no connection issues then the TCM's powers and grounds should be load tested, and if ok then the TCM itself should be the cause of the issue.