Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

I have a 1999 Camry auto transmission. I was driving 3 hours

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Camry auto transmission. I was driving for about 3 hours (after a*****the day before) when my transmission slipped out of gear and would not go back. I can see the linkage move under the hood but know nothing otherwise
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There was no check engine light on nor any symptoms of a failing transmission leeding up to the failure
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

The problem you are describing is likely an internal failure providing the fluid is full. In order to determine if in fact that is the case you need to start first with having the system scanned with a Toyota compatible scan tool to see if there are any fault codes setting pertaining to the electronic transmission control system. If no codes are stored then unfortunately the problem is an internal failure which would require a removal and tear down and or a replacement.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Transmission fluid was full on dipstick. What would repair/replacement costs average do you know?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would the codes tell you if there was a pump failure? I read that there's a pump for the transmission fluid
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

If the the problem is an electronic control issue there will be a fault code and or codes and if the pump has failed you would likely see some shift solenoid fault codes due to the lack of pressure. As for replacement cost I can tell you the laboe hours but you will need to call around to your local suppliers to determine the transmission replacement cost. The labor to remove and replace it runs right at 9 hours.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They want to replace it (if needed) with a used transmission. Is that normal? Not "rebuilt" but "used"
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

A used transmission is fine as long as they will guarantee its in good shape.

Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.