Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

Shifts hard at slow speeds from first to 2nd speeding up

Customer Question

shifts hard at slow speeds from first to 2nd speeding up past 35 increasing speed it shifts smooth. I just had new trans filter and changed trans fluid and 3qts fluid and trans treatment fluid but still shifts hard at slow speeds
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: just did
JA: What is the model/year of your Lincoln?
Customer: 1985 lincoln town 74000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not driven much
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lincoln Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

What can usually cause this type of fault here is an issue with the valve body in the transmission itself.I have seen this fail before or act up and can cause this issue.In some cases debris in the valve body can cause this to where a transmission flush with a flush machine and the correct fluid can correct this here.This will have to be checked into further to locate the source of the fault and from there then repaired to correct this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete