Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle

My 2007Hyundai Elantra won't go in drive gear when I shift

Customer Question

My 2007Hyundai Elantra won't go in drive gear when I shift the gear to Drive. I put a new transmission filter and 7 quarts of oil. I rebooted the car with car battery off for 15-30 mins and problem still happening
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: It's a 2007 Hyundai Elantra. The brake switch is good and yes I checked it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, but if I can I would do it as long as I am given information to do so.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Transmission Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the transmission filter and oil was changed as I felt it could of been the reason why my car stop going in the drive gear. the oil was dirty and brown smelled burnt. There wasn't no chunks of stuff in my oil just burnt.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i will be assisting you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok hi chad

hey how are you

sorry you having this issue and i know the trans are expensive to fix ?

but let see what we have first

can you tell me how many miles on the car ?

is check engine light on

have u had an fault codes , scanned

or you just had a lack of power of trans slippage , u checked oil was dirty u replaced and still same problem

please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i am trying to manage. so far no codes, 160k miles, and never got the check engine light.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no slippage, yes oil was dirty and smelled burnt. I changed oil and filter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No sign before it stop working. I lent my car to a family member the day it stopped working. I drove my car all day it was fine. when my family member left and came back it stopped and didn't work after that.

and it suddenly happened

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it has 160k miles
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no codes, check engine light nothing appeared

would you say changing the fluid & filter made it worse ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it shift to every gear, it works in park reverse and neutral now. it don't work in D,3,2,L. No I can't. Neutral wasn't working after changing the oil and filter it worked. Just not Drive, 3,2 and L
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just trying to get pointed to the right direction so I can fix this problem and resume to my normal life. This issue has put a halt to what I need to do. I am in high hopes something can be done to resolve this matter asap!

park and neutral the trans torques is not engaged , but in reverse it is but has low torque, if you transmission is going bad it will show in the drive gears d,3,2 L

Unfortunately if the there is no transmission codes and the filter did not fix it , that means the internal clutches or pump is failing ,sometimes the shifting and lock solenoids can go bad but will throw a check engine light .

the good news the 07 elantra trans used is like $425 ,

At my shop in greenville south carolina we charge $250 to replace it

that is your worst case scenario , based on the mileage of 160 and the burned fluid and no codes , it is internal i m afraid to say,

I m Truly sorry i know you expected a better answer but i have to be honest with you instead you, and for you not to waste time and effort trying to see what is wrong

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thank you Chad have a good night. I live in Florida by the way.

this is a website i use for my shop it will be the cheapest for you, you buy it and find a local shop and just pay him labor

what state you live in

well you should it get it done cheap there , i will try to find you some links for transmission locally and maybe shops to do it for you .

i know few friends in florida

I m sorry ., but hey It is not the end of the world stay positive :) positive things happen .

I will send you what i have tomorrow

keep me posted

have a good night

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka - Jhook1398 )

if you were in greenville , I would do at my shop for $100 labor :)

You can try another trans flush it cant hurt, it might help little more if anything

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** in Broward County between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale

ok good i know where that is is so i willl try to find you somewhere close to there , my ex wife ,was from st petersburg florida

we used to go to fort lauderdale a lot , her ant lived there