Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Master Trans Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years Experience repairing Transmissions
9600325

I have a 2001 ford explorer sport 4 L V6 and my reverse has

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, i have a 2001 ford explorer sport 4 L V6 and my reverse has just dropped out and now acts like it is in neutral. I felt it slip the other day then was working fine so thought nothing of it and now it does not engage at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I havent tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: and possibly
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

The most common cause for this is a broken low/reverse band. If the transmission does not have engine braking in the M1 position, this would confirm the band is broken. If confirmed the transmission would require rebuilding or replacement to correct.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z