hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

Shifting issue with 2003 sonata : no leaking transmission is

Customer Question

shifting issue with 2003 sonata
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no leaking transmission is original
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I am having an issue up to know with a jerk in the shifting right around 45 miles an hour to 60 miles an hour
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I am hoping to just diagnose it first
JA: Is there anything else the Transmission Mechanic should be aware of about your transmissions?
Customer: not at this point
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Transmission Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Hello, when you say it has ajerk at 45-0 mph does it feel like you are driving over a washboard road or misfire? No warning lights on? Is the transmission full of fluid and look like its in good shape, red, clean, or is it dark and smell burnt? How many miles are on the vehicle/transmission?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Q: Hello, when you say it has ajerk at 45-0 mph does it feel like you are driving over a washboard road or misfire? more like a misfire
Q: No warning lights on? A: When the power completely dropped out on the freeway check engine light came on than as I decelerated it turned off and no stored engine codes
Q: Is the transmission full of fluid and look like its in good shape, red, clean, or is it dark and smell burnt? A: transmission fluid full and doesnt smell burnt
Q: How many miles are on the vehicle/transmission? A: 87700 on the car total
Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Ok so it feels like a misfire, when the check engine light came on, it should have stored a diagnostic trouble code. Being a misfire, it can be a shorted ignition coil, with the mileage on the car the valve cover gasket may have an oil leak and leak oil into the spark plug tube in the center of the cover. The oil will cause the coil to misfire. Most auto parts stores check codes for free, but may not be able to pull all diagnostic information depending on the scan tool they use. If its a rear ignition coil, the upper intake manifold would need to be removed to gain access to it. If the check engine light flashes, its a severe misfire and a good way to know its an engine miss for sure. You can also try to powerbrake the engine by putting the trans in reverse with your foot on the brake and parking brake applied and revving the engine. If it has a frequent misfire, it will act up sitting still.

Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  hdgene replied 9 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help or information?