sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Truck runs fine -10 minutes and then shifts itself into 4th

Customer Question

Truck runs fine for 5-10 minutes and then shifts itself into 4th gear. Worried about driving it. About an hour from home.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 2010. No leaking. Only 85k on odometer
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Just want to get it home if possible. Will then take it to mechanic
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your trans is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue it thinks can prevent it from controlling the trans properly it will remove power from the solenoid pack and lock you in fourth gear.

There are many things that will cause limp in ranging from solenoids and pressure switches, the input and output speed sensors, the range sensor, wiring, internal trans or trans controller issues. The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and testing can be done from there. The most common cause of limp in would be the solenoid pack.