internal88, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have been working in the technican for over 15 years. I am an expert in diagnostic.

My son bought a 2006 nissan maxima last october. We noticed

Customer Question

My son bought a 2006 nissan maxima last october. We noticed the transmission slipping a few weeks later. It happens about 5% of the time. I took it to a mechanic friend of mine who said it was a valve body problem, and that flushing the transmission fluid several times may fix it. I happens now about 3% of the time. But my son has since gone in the army, and we just want it in salable condition. I called a shop and they told me you cannot replace the valve body, that you would have to replace the valve body and transmission as one, costing 5 to 6k. That is almost as much as we paid for the car. I am about to take it to the nissan dealer we bought it from to get it fixed. I tried to sell it back to them in November, and they said they do not buy back cars. Not sure how to proceed.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Nissan. The Nissan Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It depends on what that is.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Nissan Mechanic should know about your Nissan?
Customer: It has 155k miles on it, never been wrecked, and the carfax looks good. I am aware of the class action suit that ended in 2010, but I want to sell the car in good condition, and am not looking to stick someone with a lemon. thank you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Nissan Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  internal88 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Matt Nissan tech.

The transmission replacement is not worth it. Changing the CVT fluid would be the best.

I would try to drive it as much as you can. You won't get a good deal by selling it back to the dealership.

The dealer will probably give you $3-4000k for a trade in at best.

This is my professional opinion.