ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

The trans will not shift to 4th, able to move forward and

Customer Question

The trans will not shift to 4th, able to move forward and reverse, but just will not shift.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks serviced by Yark Automotive in Toledo, Ohio.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The fluid level is at the hot mark on the dip stick. the trans feels like its i first gear. The cable was replaced about 8 years ago, was sticking, after replacement it functioned just fine until this last week.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Really, I retired from Chrysler after 40 years, metallurgy and materials control, 8 years ago. I could be not likely. Possibly a a trans shop, but not a Chrysler dealer if at all possible.
JA: Is there anything else the Chrysler Mechanic should be aware of about your Chrysler?
Customer: Well, yes. Its just a great piece of history, runs like a million dollars, with this exception.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 6 months ago.

HI,

Ok, first, what is the year, make, model and engine size of your vehicle?

Any warning lights on such as the check engine light, reduced power light, transmission temperature light(if equipped)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
A 2001 Chrysler 300M, 3.5 high efficency engine, and yes the engine lite has been on for possibly seven years, it appears to be a vacuum leak, has no effect on performance, mpg is around 30 at 75 mph, with a k&n filter. The shifting of the trans should be a separate issue. Possible cable replacement or adjustment, not sure if the cable is adjustable.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 6 months ago.

HI,

Ok, there is an adjustment procedure for the shift cable. Labor time for floor mounted shifter is 1 hour and for steering column mounted shifter is 1.5 hours.

While this is possibly the issue, it could also be one of the shift solenoids in the transmission solenoid pack, which would be 2 hours labor and about $210 for the solenoid pack assembly.

The problem with not taking care of the issue causing the check engine light to be on is that when another issue occurs such as the shift solenoids, you never know because the light is already on and one tends to get use to it and assume it is for the original problem and not that a separate issue may be illuminating the check engine light as well.

Because of this, before having the shift cable adjusting, I strongly recommend having the onboard computers scanned for fault codes as there could be a fault code stored for the shift solenoids, thus indicating the problem is the solenoid pack assembly and not a shift cable adjustment needed. This could save you from an unnecessary repair

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Expert:  ebrock63 replied 6 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.