Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Is the install an 02 A4 fep transmission the same? Are there

Customer Question

Is the install an 02 A4 fep transmission the same? Are there codes that have to be programmed when a replacement is installed?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

can you explain futher on what are you trying to do so i can assist?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We purchased a A4 1.8 that needed a new transmission. We purchased one from a junk yard. The old one is removed and we are ready to install the replacement. Looking for directions to install. We have found a couple resources that have different instructions. One set tells us topi take to a dealer for programming.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

ok i do need to know which trans you have 6 speed auto or the cvt?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
6 speed fep
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

what happens if you slide the shifter to sport mode and shift manually? does the power change? so there were no codes stored ? is the car dealer serviced?

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

sorry about that the screen switched on me. if the transmission is the same FEP code then no reprogramming is not needed.

i do need a vin # *****