Dan, Technician
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Technician Diploma, Independent Shop Experience, and Multiple Database Access.
17871496

Check engine light and service transmission light came on

Customer Question

check engine light and service transmission light came on dash. Car running fine no apparent transmission problems. car has 148,000 miles 96 Deville
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No I have neither. Just had the former GM dealer in town service the car and he said the code indicated the torque converter
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Cadillac Mechanic to figure that out. What year is your Deville?
Customer: 1996
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: other than having the local former GM dealer check it out, nothing.....IT drives and runs perfect...
JA: Any recent repairs?
Customer: NONE
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: WE have owned this car since 97 bought from Cadillac dealer it was just off of lease with 30,000. Has always been maintained.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** start by checking diagnostic codes by pressing/holding the OFF and WARMER buttons as show in following link. The torque converter clutch solenoid is common to fail which can stop vehicle from shifting into overdrive and is about a $900 repair so driving as is can be the best option. Let me know what code you are getting, thanks.-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byA5v3BYJl8