Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Burnsdirect clutch in less than 100 miles ,has been built 4

Customer Question

burnsdirect clutch in less than 100 miles ,has been built 4 times,03 dodge ram2500 5.9 48 RE with trans go shift kit
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. A clutch pack will burn up when the stacked up clutches have an excessive gap to the clutch housing snap ring. Also not enough pressure getting to the clutch to apply enough pressure on the piston will burn up the clutches. A pressure loss can occur from:Piston seals bad or leaking from a score mark in the piston or clutch housing.Clutch housing bleed off stuck open.Clutch bushings worn.Shaft wear not getting full pressure to the clutch housingSticking valve body valves or leaking valves.Bad solenoids. An air test on the clutch from the valve body mounting surface should find this leak. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
trans has reman valvebody,set clutch pack .020 clearance, new bushing,air checks good. But was an ATS trans. Started after V.B channel plate broke..replaced v.b.with reman ,wonder if other mods to case or pump when ATS V.B is installed.
Can you better explain this comment "wonder if other mods to case or pump when ATS V.B is installed."
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what I was concerned about other changes to trans passages pluged,or holes drilled when ATS builds their trans. I don't see any i have built many 48 re trans but have never had one burn direct clutches like this. wonder if i am just over looking something
It is not common for an aftermarket builder to alter passages or springs or valves, and if they do it is to increase pressure. Higher pressure would not be to blame in this case. Any way you can get it back out, and drive the input shaft with a drill and apply air to the direct clutch through the worm trail under the valve body to listen for leaks while spinning. I spin the shaft with a hole saw bit with a rag stuffed in it to grab the saw bit and shaft.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris