sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2005 LR3 with a 140,000 on it. Recently put a new

Customer Question

I have a 2005 LR3 with a 140,000 on it. Recently put a new transmission in it. I am getting the limited gears available fault and the special programs off fault..........the vehicle does not shift properly. I have replaced the MAF and the brake switch..........any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a car. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No I have mechanics that will fix it........
JA: OK! The Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: No not at this time...........thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!The trans is going into limp in. when the transmission control module sees an issue that can prevent correct operation it will set fault codes and lock you in single gear.There are many possible cause for limp in including internal trans issues, solenoids, speed sensor or wiring issues.The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM. Do you know what codes are setting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes we have the scan tools......
Do you know what codes are setting?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will get the codes on Monday and send them to you......thanks.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The code is PO783-64
This code sets when the transmission slips at the 3-4 shift. Where did the replacement trans come from?Is it still under warranty?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I bought it from SW Transmissions......this is the second one we have put in. The first one did the same thing so that's why I thought it could be something else other than the transmission itself?
It's either an internal trans issue or a speed sensor signal issue, although a speed sensor issue will usually set a speed sensor code.It looks like this company supplies used transmissions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes it is used.....it is. Under warranty.....I am trying to avoid switching out the tranny yet again.....this was the same problem I had with the first one....
Are you actually feeling it slip?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes you can feel it...
If you're feeling it slip and the fluid is full then you definitely have an internal issue.