Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

94 Dodge van B350 with 5.9L engine. The automatic transmission

Customer Question

94 Dodge van B350 with 5.9L engine. The automatic transmission suddenly quit working in 2 and 3 with no warning. Van will only move in 1st or reverse. Probably a 46RE or 46 RH transmission.
JA: Many things can cause problems with an automatic transmission. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can't explain it any better. Transmission will not move van when in 2nd or drive. Must move shift lever to 1st or reverse for van to move.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Dropped the pan and saw no metal parts or shavings. Cleaned the filter. Refilled and no change.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?