sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Have to let off throttle to shift from 2nd to third JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

Have to let off throttle to shift from 2nd to third
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Transmission was rebuilt it's a 48re with up graded solenoids and shift kit.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Would like to, tried a rebuilt valve body and it wouldn't shift past 2nd.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: When accelerating it down shifts to 2nd even at 45 mph and doesn't want to shift back up till you let off.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.
Hello, is the chaeck engine light coming on and if so are any diagnostic codes present?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No codes
Thanks, ***** ***** like a throttle position sensor or pressure sensor issue. Do you have a scan tool with live data?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I'll have to take it in.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!A throttle valve issue could cause what you're having. An early 48RE could have a cable, but most 48RE's had an electric actuator and if it wasn't operating correctly then a code would be set.Governor pressure that is too low could cause a delayed shift, or it may be a clutch failure.What year is the truck?How did you check for codes?