sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Murano: my 2006 Murano Auto transmission wil not go into gear.

Customer Question

my 2006 Murano Auto transmission wil not go into gear. It will shift up and down but wont engage. it did this once before, I let it sit for a few days. started it up and it drove fine for a day then quit again, fortunately in my garage. 2 codes came up PO746 and PO868. Transmission fluid is full and appears clean 162000 miles. Replacing transmission not an option, since car isnt worth that much? Help
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!These codes are both related to low line pressure and shoudl be related to the lack of engagement. Lack of engagement is either an internal hydraulic or mechanical failure, in this case it appears to be a hydraulic issue.You may have a pump or valve body issue but a restricted filter will also cause a line pressure drop, sometimes bad enough to prevent engagement. A failed can be restricted due to lack of periodic replacement or there could be debris from a mechanical failure.Has the pan been removed and the filter inspected/replaced?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, but I can remove the pan and inspect. Planning on doing a cvt fluid flush and replacement. I didn't want to proceed if there's a chance the tranny is trashed. Where's the filter ?
The filter is accessed by removing the pan.You wont want to have it flushed in this case, the pan should be dropped, it should be inspected for debris and the filter replaced if there isn't evidence of catastrophic failure. Most likely a flush wouldn't be possible anyway because it doesn't sound as if you have line pressure, which is needed for a flush machine to work.