sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Well it shifts hard from 2 to 1. It's a JDM trans from Japan

Customer Question

Well it shifts hard from 2 to 1. It's a JDM trans from Japan with less then 60,000 miles.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I ordered new shift solenoids black, brown plug
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm also going to order the linear solenoids as well
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Nothing other than its a less than 60,000 mile JDM transmission from Japan
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I just tried swapping out the shift solenoids
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!A harsh shift is often caused by adaptives that have been driven abnormally high. Most modern electronically controlled transmissions use an adaptive memory which is a measure of how much fluid is used to apply each clutch at each shift. If the adaptives climb high for a clutch then it can cause a harsh shift. This can be caused by a software issue, clutch leakage or wear, fluid degradation, and sometimes it can be caused by low fluid.If the incorrect fluid or an additive has been used I would recommend having it flushed, as well as if the fluid hasn't been replaced in that 60,000 miles. I would also recommend having the adaptives reset with a scan tool. If the problem goes away but then returns then odds are there is a clutch issue.