sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Jeep Wrangler X: ! On my '06 Wrangler TJ, 6 Speed, I need

Customer Question

Hi!
On my '06 Wrangler TJ, 6 Speed, I need to replace the inner boot on the transmission. There are six bolts on the rigid portion of the boot which I have already removed. In order to remove and replace the boot, the shift extension needs to be removed. There is a junction at the base of the extension which attaches it to the portion going into the transmission. I have removed the Torx set screw from the junction and at a loss as to how to get the extension apart from the portion going to the tranny. Can you please help me out?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!After the Torx bolt is removed from the shifter then the shifter is ready to remove and will slide straight up, but it will be stuck to some degree. You can usually get them to pop loose simply by grabbing the shifter with both hands and giving a quick hard pull upward. If that won't work then you can pull upward on it and then top upward with a small hammer, or you can use a slide hammer with a hook under where the shifter separates to break it loose. With the bolt out the shifter is ready to come out, its just a matter of using enough force.