Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Shifts hard to fourth and emediately shifts back down to 3rd.

Customer Question

Shifts hard to fourth and emediately shifts back down to 3rd. Rough idle without airconditioner on. If I turn on ac, it holds the rpm up at 600, with it off, drops below 500, to around 400, and the stall when put into gear?
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: If it stalls, it coming to a stop on flat ground. Battery is older, 2-3 years. Just replaced the speed sensor and I think I might have recieved the 5 speed, I believe I have the 4 speed electronic?
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, it also shift back and forth when in overdrive. Drives good with o/d off.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaces sensors for: TPS, camshaft sensor, crankcase pos., trans. Pressure sensor, idle air control valve. Replaced the two hard rubber hoses from crankcase ventilation system that were cracked. Can't see or hear any other vacuum leaks?
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: Replaced the 4.7L engine at 60, 600 miles. Just past the warranty. Have 76,000 on this one, with original transmission.?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Can I get the year, make, model?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota, 4.7L /545RFE 5 speed transmission. I can't drive with out taking O/D off. Its running great most of the time, however, it has to be with O/D off. If I leave o/d on, it shifts extremely rough and revs the rpm's up to 4200 before roughly shifting to 4th gear then emediately feels like it slips out of 4th back into 3Rd with a complete transaxle jolt. The whole car shakes. I have a leak at the rear of the trans. Oil pan, where it looks like it'd been forced a little to rough during transmission servicing. I've changed it twice myself now trying to stop the leak, and it has lessened considerably. I do stop and go driving all day with a full load of liquid pool chemicals and equipment for the swimming pool business I own and operate. About 15 accounts daily. I've replaced input and output speed sonsors, camshaft sensir, crankcase sensor, throttle position sensor, and transmission pressure sensor. I reset the MIL and after driving for a while, transmission code P0700 and P0734 retrigger the MIL.
Thanks, ***** ***** for these overdrive issues are internal transmission concerns with one or more of these parts:multi select solenoid4th clutch not releasing fast enough2nd clutch not applying fast enough or holdingaccumulator seal or spring failuremanual valve bore scored4th clutch or 2nd clutch valve scoring.For the leak since you know its the pan then pan replacement is the best choice there ( can not tell if you did that from your description. Check the pan seal for damage, see if the case is warped or scored where the pan seals. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris