Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My 1991 e34 automatic gear gets stuck on the 3rd gear and it

Customer Question

My 1991 e34 automatic gear gets stuck on the 3rd gear and it brings trans program on the dash board
JA: A stuck gear is frustrating, but with the right help...fixable. The mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the shortcuts to get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car moves well changing from 1st ,2nd but when it wants to change to the 3rd gear is like it slips and it can't shift up or down,and trans program alarm will only disappear when you switch off the ignition for like a minute and then restart
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Nope do you think it's something I can handle?
JA: OK! The BMW Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the BMW Mechanic should know about your BMW?
Customer: I think that's all but the last time we put a diagnostic tool it showed throttle sensor but we replaced it but the problem still persisted.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the BMW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If you are still getting a code for the throttle sensor and the sensor was replaced check the wiring running to the sensor for any issues needing repaired as this can cause this fault here.I have also seen the throttle body itself cause this issue needing either cleaned or replaced.Another common cause for the transmission fault here is a fault with the transmission valve body itself.I have seen the valve body act up internally with valves hanging up or debris in the transmission cause this.In some cases a simple transmission fluid flush using the correct transmission fluid can free up and remove the debris from it and correct this as well here.This will have to be checked into/tested further to locate the source of the fault to be sure and then corrected from there. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete