Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

There! I have a Nissan Sentra 2004 A/T, QG18DE with

Customer Question

Hi there! I have a Nissan Sentra 2004 A/T, QG18DE with 152,302 miles. Bought the car 2 months ago, has been running almost perfect. Past history: changed/reinstalled because of codes the throttle body, gas pedal, performed relearn procedure for pedal and idle, got new battery.
Codes currently present: P0455 and P2138. Will perform a smoke test for P0455 since code still present after replacing gas cap and briefly inspecting the EVAP system. For P2138 removed and reinstalled the ground wires on the intake manifold, checked sensor voltage and is according to specifications. After doing all this the car drove in perfect conditions for 9 days, until 2 days ago when the problem below reappeared. I am very suspicious of this P2138 being related to the main problem.Problem: Sometimes when I start the car, the O/D light blinks 5 times (noticed that always happens when I start it early morning, the vehicle has been inactive overnight), but also happens during the day. When this happens (O/D blinks 5 times) and I start the car there are no problems when driving, smooth drive and gear shifting.
BUT, sometimes I am driving and I hear a "clicking" sound in the center console (maybe around the shifter?). If I slow down at a stop sign/traffic light (for example) and I start accelerating, the car jerks into 2nd gear (badly) and to a lesser extent to 3rd. When pressing the gas pedal it feels like there is a continuous but delayed response between the amount the pedal is being pressed and the acceleration that the vehicle gains.
Now, if I pull over, turn off the car, remove the key for approx 5 seconds and start it again, it drives smooth until the next time this happens (excellent acceleration and shifting).I tried to upload a video of the O/D blinking with the diagnostics but it says here that it can't read the file, I can send it to your email if this would help. I don't know how to read the blinking pattern of the O/D light.My suspicions: transmission acceleration sensor gone bad, some sort of electrical issue in God knows where.I really appreciate all your help because I am just learning about mechanics, very eager to get this annoying issue resolved.Thanks
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If there is an issue with the pedal sensor for the code set here and the pedal/sensor has been replaced already inspect the wiring from the pedal sensor to the engine computer to see if there are any issues with corroded or damaged wiring needing repaired or replaced.If a fault is found with any of the wiring it will need to be repaired to correct this fault.If all wiring is found to be o.k. and the sensor has already been replaced and with the OD light issue here you may have an internal electrical fault in the ECM with it needing replaced.I have seen the ECM fail in the past before causing issues like this here needing replaced.This will have to be tested further to be sure of the cause. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks Pete, I will check what you mention today after work and will definitely let you know any updates.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Pete, I've been busy the past days but I did perform a manual transmission diagnostics, I have 12 O/D blinks, 1st and 4th blinks are longer, all the rest are pretty much same lengh. Can you tell me what does it mean?Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
I dont show the info on the blinks to codes myself here.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete