Fix_It_Man, Repair Supervisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, L! Advanced Level with over 20 years of experience.

My questing is regarding a 2005 Nissan Altima automatic

Customer Question

My questing is regarding a 2005 Nissan Altima automatic transmission. Have you ever worked on this kind? I seem to feel the shifts much more then other cars i have driven. It feels like a harder shift in to 1st and 2nd gear especially in bumper to bumper traffic with lots of stop and go. From reading online it's common in theses cars. Any ways to smooth it out? It only has 47,000 miles on it.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** you tell me if you are the original owner of this vehicle. Is the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not the original owner, just bought it a couple months ago. The car has 135,000 miles on it, but the tranny was replaced by the previous owner with another one with 47,000 miles on it at a shop. The fluid is bright pink. And no check engine light or codes.
Thank you. There are some shifting issues with this vehicle, Most of the time it is caused by a worn out engine mount or cv axle. These cause some issues with shifting harshness. If these are fine then the transmission is the issue. It may not have been rebuilt properly the last time around. One other thing that causes this once the transmission is replaced is if the shop does not reprogram the computer adaptation. This may just need to be done.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well it wasn't rebuilt just a used one taken out of a donor car. Hmm 3 engine mounts are new except the rear one closest to the firewall. Haven't yet had a chance to replace it. But i put in a new tranny mount in that holds the tranny. How would the a bad cv axles effect it? And i read online to reprogram the tcm use just unplug the battery and it resets or is there more to it? thanks
The computer can only be reset with a scan tool. Unhooking the battery will not take care of it.