Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working on Ford, Lincolns and Mercs.
7276279

Transmission problems. JA: Sometimes things that you think

Customer Question

Transmission problems.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The problem its after***** the car in every stop doing a big clunk or big bump, or after drive in the highway,
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yeah cause some guy rebuild the transmission but still have the same problem,
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I change transmission fluid, filter, speed sensor,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: I used lucas too,
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order to determine if the problem you are describing is a internal problem or an electronic control issue you are going to need to start first with scanning the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting. I will also need to know what year and model your Dodge is as well as engine size. Post back when you can with complete information and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2005 Dodge Durango 3.7, changed valve body, tcm, rebuild transmission, change fluid(atf+4)and filter, change sensors, trans cooler and still doing the same problem.In the first 5 min the car run and change normal, but after 5 or less min the car doing a big clunk o bump into 1-2 shift,
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
If you scan the computer system are you getting any fault codes?What type of problem are you actually having with the transmission?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont have any code, the car computer with tcm is new, but in the old computer i had this 2 code P0344 and P0340 Cam position sensor.The problem right now is after 5 minute driving, after every stops when i push the gas pedal the first into second gear feel a big clunk or bump in the car, this clunk i feel like in the rear differential.
The engine loses power too(feel like a misfire but every spark plugs are new).
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
If you feeling a misfire then you should be able to get the computer to set a fault code, are you able to monitor the data stream while the problem is occurring?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont have scanner obd2, the car have new spark plug, and i feel the problem in the transmission, do you think can be the torque converter or electronic problem?, because after a while driving the problem start, like loss power and after stops big feel like big clunk.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Yes it is very possible but in most cases the computer will pick up and detect it and set a fault code and or codes. A code reader will not always retrieve transmission codes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
- Do you think the cam position sensor can affect the transmission ??, and why this problems(big clunk) start just when the transmission fluid warm up or after drive in the highway?
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
A bad Cam sensor will affect the engine performance which can sometimes make you think its a transmission concern but if the sensor is failing it will set a fault code as well. The clunking is likely and internal pressure concern with the transmission.