Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech

Transmission shifts into neutral without warning while coasting

Customer Question

transmission shifts into neutral without warning while coasting to stop. I stop, put in park and then shift back into drive and it seems to operate normally for a while before repeating the cycle. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2005 Hyundai accent with about 100,000 miles. Car is new to us so no real history. Ran fine at first but now transmission seems to disengage when coasting to a stop. Cycling through park is necessary to get it to engage again.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Just wanting a diagnosis or possible diagnosis, if possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

i am sorry for the long wait

does the check engine light come on ?

is the transmission fluid clean and full ?

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer