Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

My 99 chrysler lhs is reading codes P0700 and P01781. the

Customer Question

my 99 chrysler lhs is reading codes P0700 and P01781. the transmission fluid is full, and there are no shifting problems.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chrysler. The Chrysler Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Thanks. Other than those 2 codes there are no others. I have read that they refer to transmission, but at this point I detect no shifting problems. i appreciate any advice you can offer.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: so far nothing, but I am getting ready to replace the transmission filter and fluid, but before I do that, i wanted to know if I should replace the shift solenoid block while i am in there. After that i could replace the TCM, if needed.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chrysler Mechanic should know about your Chrysler?
Customer: It has 120,000 miles and has been very well maintained.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chrysler Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist the 1781 code is a possible oil pressure issue in the trans. below is a list of possible failures. changing the oil/filter is a good idea to start. RoySYMPTOM: P1781-OD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUITWhen Monitored and Set Condition: P1781-OD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUITWhen Monitored: Whenever the engine is running. Engine speed must be greater than 500 RPMSet Condition: A shift must not be in progress, and there must be more than 2.0 seconds since start-up, no loss of prime test in progress, and a pressure switch mismatch and the code sets within 4 seconds.POSSIBLE CAUSES CHECKING SYMPTOMS AND POSSIBLE CAUSESLOW BATTERY VOLTAGE CAUSING SYMPTOMVALVE BODY BOLT TORQUES NOT WITHIN SPECIFICATIONSTRANSAXLE SEALS DEFECTIVEOD PRESSURE SWITCH DOES NOT TOGGLETCM OD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE INTERNAL SHORT TO GROUNDOPEN BETWEEN TCM CONNECTOR AND INLINE CONNECTOROD PRES SW SENSE CKT SHORT TO GND BTWN TCM AND INLINEOD PRESSURE SENSE SHORT TO SIGNAL AT SOLENOID PACOD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT OPEN BETWEEN SOLENOID PACK AND INLINEOD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT SHORT AT INLINE CONNECTORSHORT TO GROUND BETWEEN SOLENOID PACK AND INLINE CONNECTOROD PRESSURE SENSE SHORT TO SIGNAL IN SOLENOID PACKOD PRESSURE SWITCH DEFECTIVEOD SOLENOID DEFECTIVEOD SOLENOID CAUSES OD PRESSURE SWITCH DTCSOLENOID PACK INTERNAL FAILUREINTERMITTENT CODE P1781
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there any way to test the TCM before I try replacing it?
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
why are you going to replace the tcm???? if you have a scan tool, not a code reader, then you can see if there is communication and data. that will tell you if it is working Roy
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts roy