Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

A4ld 1-2 slip and won't always hit od. rebuilt w/new od one-way

Customer Question

a4ld 1-2 slip and won't always hit od. rebuilt w/new od one-way and planets with new needle bearings - piston seals, frictions and steels, bands, 2-3 and od servo pistons. valve body had several scuffed valves. rushed, did no pressure tests before re-install. while filling pan trans started leaking all over - the top vent, modulator, speedo gear and pan. noticed no leaks from the bell housing or out the fill tube. Mind you, the vehicle had not yet been started. after walking around it a few times I checked the pan bolts which had somehow become loose. I torqued all three times.
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Ford Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: re-torqued pan bolts twice
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: 1993 Mustang LX 2300
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 5 months ago.
Hello, you had transmission issues prior to a rebuild and now have multiple leaks out the vent and pan but havent restarted the vehicle to test and see if the shifitng issue is resolved? Or it still slips on 1-2 and no overdrive? Did you replace both servo pistons and adjust the bands properly?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Had to coble up a neutral safety harness to get it to run. Then, dropped the pan and let sit overnight. This time filled while running. Wheels spin while in the air - slowly. When on the ground selected range is delayed. Vehicle moves at about half mile an hour in forward and reverse at about 1500 to 2200 rpm only. At this point, leaks are only form the pan and modulator. Went to the junk yard and got a valve body from a 4ld Ranger. Rinsed it in Varsol, drip dried it and put it in. Separator plate gasket on this valve body looked OK. Filled while running again. No noticeable change. Sits overnight but moves much better hooked up a gage. Line pressure around 50 psi. Fluid level now not showing on dip stick. Added to spec while warming up. Next day car takes off normally forward and reverse though engagement is delayed. Shifts OK but net yet thoroughly testing. Using a light foot. Idle pressure as well as other RPM pressures seem to depend on temp. Gage is still hooked up but readings are consistently in the 18 -24 psi range when warm. no one I know has heard of anything that low. Pressure change with acceleration is responsive. Leak maybe but where? Notice that I mentioned replacement of both solenoids and both servo pistons. the servo bores looked OK to me, they weren't measured.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Why is the pressure so vastly different - lower - all over when it's warm yet will shoot right up when the gas is hit while driving or foot braking.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
bands turned down a few lbs.ft and backed off 1 and .5 turns