Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

2000 Audi A8 transmission in LIMP Mode. What does this mean?

Customer Question

JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Audi. The Audi Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Trans. Is in LIMP mode. Should I drive it any?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing about to buy car for $500 cash. Should I do that?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Audi Mechanic should know about your Audi?
Customer: Seems to run in high gear only
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Audi Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  internal88 replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon - Audi tech.LIMP mode means there is a something wrong with the drivetrain system. It could be as bad as the whole transmission unit or it can be a shift solenoid.The car will need to hook up an OBD2 scanner to find out the fault code. From my experience if the transmission is shifty hard or mishift it is typically the transmission problem. These early A8 has issue with the ZF transmission. Not the most reliable unit. A rebuilt transmission will run several thousand dollars. If the transmission is not shifting right I would not buy it.Please rate me positive, thank you!