Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy, ASE master with L1
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas

Versa: 2008 Versa SL w/CVT trans and 132Kmiles. Wont move

Customer Question

2008 Versa SL w/CVT trans and 132Kmiles. Wont move and no throttle. Vehicle will start and rev in park and neutral but when put in gear does nothing. Trans doesn't engage at all and throttle becomes "dead". Cooling fans aren't on,brake lights work as expected. Have communication with all modules and only code is P0868 Sec. Pressure down. CEL is NOT on tho
I do have a internal control module failure code in the Air Bag Module.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 6 months ago.
Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having with your Nissan. This code and issue is a pretty common failure with Nissan vehicles. It is indicating the automatic transmission is having Low line pressure and the car is going into a "limp mode" or safe mode. You can check the line pressures your self, if you would like the specs I can provide them. This issue points to an internal issue with your CVT transmission. Nissan did extend the warranty on them to 10yr / 120k miles on the majority of their CVT transmission. It would not hurt to call the local dealership, give them your vin number and see if you qualify. Thank you! Feel free to ask any other questions you have.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the response. If you could share the line pressure specs and test port locations that would be great. Would like to visually verify the pressure failure if I can.
Here ya go! Hope this helps. The readings are on the bottom in multiple measurement scales. PSI will be the most common so make sure you have a gauge that can safely read up to 650psi. Thanks!!
Once you get the documents, please let me know you are able to view them. Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is low pressure the only thing that will cause this failure and symptoms? No solenoids, switches, wiring ect.... possibly causing this? Or are you basically saying based on exp. the trans is junk?
There are a few other issues that could cause this issue, but based on my experience and someone who has been a shop foreman for many years, This trans. has seen it last day I think. Here are the other diagnostic steps for this particular code: Possible Causes:Harness or connectors (Solenoid circuit is open or shorted.) Pressure control solenoid valve B (Secondary pressure solenoid valve) Transmission fluid pressure sensor A (Secondary pressure sensor) Line pressure control system If this is the only code you have, it is pointing to internal transmission failure. A lot of the solenoids share the circuits so if it was an issue with that, you would have more than just this code.