sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

06,3500,dodge, Cummins, 48re,but it's fairly extensive, I just.ne

Customer Question

06,3500,dodge, Cummins, 48re,but it's fairly extensive, I just.need where to start,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Bought a rebuilt tranny & $1.100.00 converter from Monster transmission out of Florida.I installed transmission & Converter. To my knowledge the only thing I did wrong. Not turn the key to on & let.sit for one minute before starting. .I turned to on and started th e truck let.it warm up a bit & pulled it out of the shop.Everything worked except OD No OD I drove the truck more than 2000 miles Towing a 14'.box trale.and then a 30' gooseneck with my box trailer on top of it.No problems ju no OD I then read a thread on a manual switch to cause the tranny to funtion.properly. I rigged a wire from a ground through two (side by side )resistors, because they were 1/2 the resistance I was look.I test drove the truck and.no od I smelled friction material. The tranny seemed to be in.limp mode.No 1st.had 2nd and third and I had to drive it.apx. a 150 miles .after about 70 miles I got tired so I pulled off the road in 3"-4" of snow.When I woke up a.few hrs later .I was stuck because I had also lost reverse !. Some great guys pulled me out of that one with a backhoe .I also have an Edge programmer on the truck and never unhooked it when I did the tranny swap.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I manually put the gear select lever in 1st.it still starts out in 2nd but it shifts to 3rd all while the lever is still on 1st,Also it threw a code about to.much voltage to one of the tranny circuts The oil is new and still on full,& I have two aftermarket 30.000 lb tranny coolers in front of the radiator & no factory cooler, my other tranny never got over 125°with a big load on steep grades I should have put my time and money into a 6 speed manual
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You without a doubt have a couple different issues going on internal in the transmission. the lack of fourth gear could have been a solenoid issue but if you smelled it burning the fluid and then lost reverse then the trans is definitely going to need to come back out and be disassembled.Does it have warranty on it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The warranty was very weak ! Besides being in.Florida wich would cost more than it was worth.When I ordered the tranny, obviously I didn't think that this would cause more down time than anything.I have a new 30'.gooseneck trailer that I need to ude.ASAP but no truck to pull it.I'm thinking about having the tranny codes pulled & removed and go from there.
You can see if there are any codes read but an electrical issue wouldn't cause any of the symptoms you're describing, you definitely have a mechanical or hydraulic failure which is going to require overhaul or replacement.