Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Hyundai 2006: its me again James from three years ago hyundai

Customer Question

its me again James from three years ago hyundai santa fe 2006 transmission issue ended up new transmission rebuild by dealer on 1-25-2013 36536 miles now 4-20-2016 .
Here's are orginal dialog:
NOw at 60,900 miles transmission is
a.) hunting from 2nd to 3rd.
b.) at times cant find the gear. studdering to find gear. struggles to find the gear- no loud bang yet sometimes in low theres a slightly hard effort from 1 to 2.
c.) theres a popping sound when i go from reverse too drive in first gear. Re-created this in my driveway going forward and backward- seems to happen more with ac on (that could be a fluke).
I have new tires (only 5,ooo on them) , changed out both front control arms- since it was cheaper than buying and pressing in ball joints, and I changed out stabilizer end linkage- so the suspension is pretty solid- I am going to have Kuafman look at the alignment and suspension as a double check since I recently did this. Say this because sometimes "pop" sounds come from suspension items. Tie rods looked good. Wonder if the CV joints were contamanited upon the remanufactured tranny put in since they pulled the driver side CV transaxle.
Was disappointed with some of the overall state they left the car in 1-25-2014: meaning besides the transmission issues having, again, they left several bolts out "yet cosmetic" since they were plastic 10mm shield bolts to the subframe still shows attention to detail. Left the passenger brake line bolt un bolted. the mechanic knocked or tore the wire from the ac clutch compressor which he would not admit to and I had to repair with some shrink wrap tape. The passenger ball joint boot was cut open - possibly not mechianic- just a wear issue but it was odd-and now oil driping from the CV axle this last month when I replaced control arms with bushings and ball joints.
Anyway very discouraged since this is a paid off vehicle and I am over my 5 year /60,000 warrenty and the 10 year 110,000 comes up this year in "nov 2016". I drive this car very gentle and not often -baby it yet so many issues.
Interested in round #2 diagnosing this tranmission issue if it is? so I can have some facts or talking points going into the dealership.* going to go to a different one in FL.
* heres a kicker too the recommended maintenace is the 60,000 timing belt which I read and watched is a heck of job ranging from $299-$800 and if you dont do it then hyundai may not grant any further powertran warrenty.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name id John I will try and help. Did the dealership diagnose this failure yet?