Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

I have a 2013 volvo isx 780 with an eaton 13 speed auto

Customer Question

I have a 2013 volvo isx 780 with an eaton 13 speed auto shift transmission that doesn't want to go into gear. Shows alternating N then F fault light. when attempting to put into gear, the N-F light keeps flashing and doesn't go into gear. It all started when the starter motor started smoking upon trying start. The driver took jumper cables and placed them on the starter attempting to jump start but it only caused it to smoke more and crank slowly, not enough to start the truck. Driver got a new starter installed at a shop but the dash wouldn't light up. Turns out one of the ignition fuses burnt out (probably when jump start was attempted) also when going through the fuses there was oxidation flaking out of the transmission slot (don't know name of fuse) that goes into the electrical clutch. Once the fuse was changed, the truck started but didn't want to go into gear. So the shop changed the electrical clutch and re-crimped wires for the fuse that goes from the battery to the transmission. After that, the truck went into gear and drove normally for about 240 miles till the fault light for MID 130 SID 248 FMI 9 turned on. The driver switched gears manually and still shifted fine, but once stopped to pay for toll road the truck went back to not changing gears and driver saw the same N and F lights alternating on the dash.the driver took out the fuse that goes from batteries to transmission out and put it back a few times also wiggling the wires attached to the slot till the fault lights turned off and the truck started and shifted no problem for about 2000 miles. Driver got home and took out the same fuse that he wiggled earlier, once it was out the fault lights came back on but didn't go away when he put the fuse back into place. Truck went back to original symptoms. Driver left truck at parking for 2 days and no fault lights or anything were on when he came back. Driver changed the box for the transmission fuse and truck drove normally with no faults. After 4000 more miles, the driver was trying to get out of a tight area by going back and forth, finally backing up to get out. The driver went to brake but the truck kept wanting to keep going so he had to really press the brake hard to stop it. The driver stopped the truck to get loaded. he turned it back on he tried to get into gear but the gear indicator was flashing (not in gear) truck was turned off again and started. He tried to put it into gear again and same flashing gear indicator so he pressed the brake a little harder and it made a clunk sound and went back to normal. Driver was able to drive another 1000 miles without issue. The driver came across another toll road so he stopped behind a truck in front of him for about 2 minutes and pulled up to pay (being in gear the whole time) and after paying he went to pull away but truck went back to not going in gear with a new fault code MID 130 SID 55 FMI 7. He was towed to a shop Friday and on Monday they asked him to detach his trailer. He started the truck (still with codes and issue) and went to unhook the trailer when he got back in and lowered the airbags to remove trailer the faults went away. he drove into the garage and a couple hours later he came back to start the truck so see whats wrong and the last fault code MID 130 SID 55 FMI 7 came on. They changed the electrical clutch thinking that was the problem, but it didn't fix the issue. They plugged in their computer to program electrical clutch but it couldn't communicate with their computer. Any idea what the issue might be? Answers asap greatly appreciated thanks
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know. I would check the fuse panels for any damaged or shorted wires or fuse panel terminals.If any issues are found they will need to be repaired to correct this fault here.If this is or has been checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The fuse panels, shorted wires and fuse panel terminals have all been checked. No issues with those. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
O.k.,after looking at some diagrams on this here unfortunately my info is limited here on this and I will have to see if others can assist more.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help.Fault Code 27 - Clutch Disengagement | Fault Isolation Procedures TRTS0930Fault Code 27 - Clutch DisengagementJ1587: MID 130 SID 55 FMI 7, 13J1939: SA 3 SPN 788 FMI 7, 13OverviewThe fault code indicates that the clutch has not disengagedas expected. This fault can occur with both Data-linkMechanical (DM) and Electronic Clutch Actuator (ECA)clutch models.DetectionDM Clutch Fault DetectionStarting at key on and throughout operation, the TransmissionElectronic Control Unit (TECU) constantly measuresengine RPM and idle torque from the engine.If the engine speed falls significantly below idle or engine torque risessignificantly above idle torque upon engaging a start gear,the fault is set. If the vehicle is brought to a stop when ingear and engine speed falls significantly below idle, the fault is set. Possible CausesThis fault code can be caused by any of the following:• Failed clutch• Clutch over-adjusted• Clutch thermal abuse• Drive Disc Assembly over-speed• Pilot Bearing failure• Input shaft wear• Lack of lube in Release Bearing and Bushing
Fault Code 16: Eaton Proprietary Link (EPL)J1587:MID 130SID 248FMI 2OverviewFault Code 16 indicates the Shift Controller and the Trans-mission Controller are unable to communicate.DetectionStarting at key on and throughout operation, the Shift Con-troller constantly communicates with the TransmissionController. If a communicationfailure occurs for more than5 seconds, Fault Code 16 is set.Conditions to Set Fault Code ActiveFallbackThis fault causes an in-place fallback while operating and afailure during system initialization.Possible CausesThis fault code can be causedby any of the following:•Vehicle Harness•Transmission Controller•Shift Controller
Please post the complete transmission model number from the transmission ID tag so I can get you the correct troubleshooting information for testing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dan, thanks for responding. Here is the transmission info:
Serial: S0993284
Model is Fo-18e313a-mhp
Thanks for the information.Click on this link belowTroubleshooting