Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Chevrolet 1500 4wd: What would make the an 88 Chevy 1500 4wd

Customer Question

What would make the an 88 Chevy 1500 4wd Chevy truck loose power and not shift gears while driving
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist in the trans there are many things that could cause this. there is a shift cable that goes to the throttle body or carb, if you had one as this was a transition year.there is a governor on the side of the trans that has a plastic gear that is driven off the output shaft that dishes out in the center and will not allow shiftingit could be something in the valve body that is preventing the trans from shifting as well I would start by checking the fluid condition and changing the oil/filter in the trans first. Roy