Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

Saab 98 900S Trans AW50-40-LE. In limp mode. Replaced position

Customer Question

Saab 98 900S Trans AW50-40-LE. In limp mode. Replaced position switch, traced wiring & grounds, swapped control unit. Code is for position switch. No change. Intenal problem? Takes off in high gear. Manually downshifting to lo gearmakes no differense.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a the transmissions. The Transmission Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: We are a shop with Saab experience.
JA: Is there anything else the Transmission Mechanic should be aware of about your transmissions?
Customer: Worked fine when parked 2 weeks before. Customer had dead battery. When jumped wouldn't start. Towed to our shop. Replaced crank position sensor. Started & discovered trans problem.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Transmission Mechanic will know what to do. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Transmission Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Can you tell me what control unit was swapped with this issue here and was it programmed to the vehicle at all? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Saab part 49 25 517. Not programed.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Can you tell me the fault code setting with this issue here at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The tech is off today. I'm trying to do some research.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Code was always for position switch. Not sure of #.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
O.k.,if this was for the transmission range switch looking at the diagram info on this it does feed its signals directly to the TCM itself.The TCM and switch has been replaced and the code is still setting here.This only leaves one thing.High resistance/damage to the wiring leading from this switch to the TCM needing located and repaired or new wiring ran in its place to correct this issue.As long as the switch is switching properly and he TCM and switch are new the only thing left is a fault with the wiring itself.It may be hard to locate a short or damage in the harness but I would double check it to see if any wiring needs repaired or replaced for this fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We will recheck wiring. Can you email receipt for service?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
That is something you would have to contact customer service on for that.Usually you will see it as a receipt with the credit card used here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete