Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

We have a do not shift gears warning on our GLKJA: Good

Customer Question

We have a do not shift gears warning on our GLK
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 2013
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: starts up, sounds relatively smooth
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car starts right up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Sound smooth
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: We are copying the exact warning message
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
"Service Required. Do not shift gears. Visit Dealer." Is the exact warning message
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So, there is no chat with mechanics? Just email? I am waiting for an email which they say might take a day...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This can be due to an issue with a low or weak battery needing replaced or an issue with the shifter itself or a transmission solenoid or valve body fault.I have seen all of these cause this fault here.This will have to be checked/tested further to locate and pinpoint the fault to be sure and then from there repaired to correct this issue here.This is best done by either a dealer with an sds machine that will plug in and operate in your model here or a compatible scan tool from a shop to help diagnose and repair this fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete