sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Ford: We have a 1999 Ford F150 4.2 with belive a 70W transmission.

Customer Question

We have a 1999 Ford F150 4.2 with belive a 70W transmission. The story from beginning:
original transmission lost forward gears and burnt up. replaced with salvage transmission have reverse and no forward gears. feels like they were there but won't pull itself. assumed this was a bad transmission so went and got another one.
2nd replacement transmission is in and same issue, no forward gears. when in the air, right tire goes forward, on the ground, driveline does not move.
questions, does the transmission line matter which goes where? lets start there. don't want to pull again.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Direction of trans cooler flow does matter and the lines need to be in the correct position, but with molded metal lines and threaded fittings you shouldn't have gotten them installed incorrectly.Possible causes for it not moving are an internal failure in the trans, possibly a restricted cooler dropping line pressure, a mechanical failure in the rear differential, or possibly the brakes stuck on.Was the cooler flushed and flow checked after the first transmission was removed?With the trans in park are you able to push the truck or do you feel a hard mechanical lock?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I'm unable to talk on the phone.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The truck pushes forward and backward when in neutral. When the 1st transmission was installed the cooler line was flushed. We knew there was a problem with the original transmission because is would jerk at times and die upon take-off. Then the boat was taken to the lake and it started fine, backed down the ramp, but would not pull up off the ramp. They smoked it really hard trying to get it to move.Got another transmission. looked good no burnt fluid and no shavings in the pan. put in new filter and installed. Got reverse fine but no forward gears. Had a transmission guy look at it in the truck and he couldn't get it to work either. Said he would rebuild for us but then stopped returning calls so went and got another transmission.Installed second replacement and have the same issue. He says the lines hooked up easy so I doubt there was an issue there. We had the original out twice for engine swaps and I knew they were a pain then so I had to ask.They jack up the rearend and the wheel moves in forward gear, but the minute you lower it back to the ground the drive line stops turning. Fluid level looks good, no burnt smell.I also have a hard time believing there could be the same problem with both transmissions. (from different locations, the second more reputable than the first), but these transmissions are hard to find in our area.
With the trans in park are you able to push the truck or is there a mechanical lock?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He says when the transmission is in park it is there you can't push the truck.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, there is a plug on the left side tail shaft that the original transmission does not have. In the original the place where this plug is had a cover over it. This one has the plug and no cover, and it was not plugged up because we don't have any wires to plug into it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He said the numbers on the transmission match.
If you're unable to push the truck while the trans is in park that indicates the drivetrain is intact and the lack of engagement is an internal transmission issue. The fact that it engages but won't pull indicates clutch failure or low line pressure. If the cooler was flow checked and found to be ok then the problem is definitely internal in the transmission.If the replacement trans has an electrical connector that the original did not then it is incorrect for the application, but an electrical issue couldn't prevent engagement.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you tell us what the pressure should be and he will try to check it this evening. We are expecting major rain this afternoon. thanks.
The line pressure tap is on the left side at the accumulator area above the left front corner of the pan. At idle it should be 31-69 PSI.