Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Ford F350 7.3 with r4100 auto trans: Ford F350 2001 7.3 automatic.

Customer Question

Ford F350 2001 7.3 automatic. I was going up a hill and heard a pop and lost drive and coasted to the side of the road it won't drive in any gear it will shift but it wont engage it won't go anywhere in any gear. What has broke? There is no smell no transmission problems before.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Is the vehicle 4x4?Will it roll in any gear other than park and will it not roll in park?Does reverse work?So far you have described a possible broken input or output shaft inside the transmission. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

It's a 4x4 it rolls in every gear including reverse like neutral and it does stop in park. Reverse doesn't work either it rolls like neutral and it won't go with 4x4 engaged either.

Since it rolls in park that means the most likely failed parts are the transmission output shaft, the transfer case, or the shift forks inside the transfer case. Since it rolls in park this rules out the internal components like clutches and bands in the transmission. Getting the transfer case off is the first step to see if the trans output shaft turns in park. If it does not then take the transfer case apart.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

It does not roll in park.

Sorry I misunderstood. So that means the break is not in the transmission output shaft nor in the transfer case. Its a concern inside the transmission with the input shaft, rear planetary, or the pump. The next step prior to remove and overhaul would be a line pressure test to check the pump.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris