Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.

2003 gmc envoy. Goes into neutral when in***** Drives

Customer Question

2003 gmc envoy. Goes into neutral when in***** Drives ok in all wheel. Must stop car. Put in all wheel and restart to get out of neutral
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes. But does it often. computer changed and newest was reset and reprogrammed. So am at a loss unless it's the gear sensor on tranny
JA: Anything else I can tell the GM Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: nothing else
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. One common issue that causes this here is the transfer case actuator itself.This actuator can "wander" and shift the transfer case into neutral causing this neutral feel here.I have had to replace this before for this fault.In some cases it is just the position sensor in the actuator on the transfer case needing replaced.The actuator is removed and taken apart to replace this sensor which can be obtained from a GM dealer.If you havent yet I would have the fault codes read out of the transfer case computer using a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with this computer.Once this is done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.If the actuator is one of the motors that was already replaced on the transfer case let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete