sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

Volvo S60 2.5T: I run a tran shop and have a 2005 s 60 that

Customer Question

I run a tran shop and have a 2005 s 60 that customer towed in and said wouldn't movd in either direction. I got in it on day one and car moved both ways. Thought customer had lost his mind. Day two til now car has not moved an inch. Now it's me losing my mind. Motor has plenty of power and brakes are fine. Fluid is like new. Car has ninety thousand miles on it. Any thoughts?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By the way I don't usually work on Volvo's. I am slightly familiar with the aw 50/55 and don't feel like the problem is internal. Seen alot of these trans go three times as far plus it worked fine the day I drove it around the lot
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, when you take it out of park will the car rill like it is in neutral?also what is the code number you are showing?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
sorry for the typo, i meant WILL the car ROLL when you take it out of Park ??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It will push in not have number but code states as follows .Lock up function trans jerks at lock .. Also engine codes 1a52 and 1a53
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Jerks at lock up
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
to be on the same page you mean converter lock up when driving correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The transmission code that came up on my snap on computer says "lock up function, trans jerks at lock .. Didn't write that code number down. Engine codes I did write down and they were talking about the ddm and the I didn't get the car to lock up in my parking lot. Just moved it around forwards and backwards. Customer said car wouldn't move at all
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You still with me partner
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
my apologies i will have to opt out, i cannot find info on this model in my system.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If it doesn't move then the problem has to be internal in the transmission, the brakes may be locked up, or it may be a broken CV joint.With the transmission in park are you able to push the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will not push in park. Thanks for your reply. Last guy gave up on me quick
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And I checked the brakes. They are doing what they are supposed to .. Parking brake works perfectly
With the shifter in neutral you're able to push the car then, correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes car pushes in neutral and parking mechanism works.
If the car doesn't move then it is definitely an internal failure in the transmission.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What about a cv joint? Haven't got to shop yet to Check them. Really not looking forward to pulling this out. Guess I looking for a miracle
It can't be a broken CV joint if you're unable to push the car while in park. That's why I asked you to check that.