sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Good morning. Having the RE5R05A Transmission contamination

Customer Question

Good morning. Having the RE5R05A Transmission contamination issue. Currently driving a 2007 4.0L Automatic CC Frontier and found a 2003 350z Transmission replacement. If swapping transmissions in their entirety, would 350z TCM/valve body have communication issues with Frontier ECU? From what I can tell TCM is valve body specific but that is the extent of what ive found out.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The radiator in my Frontier malfunctioned and introduced Coolant into the Automatic Transmission and vice versa. Transmission was pulled to assess the damage. Valve body and TCM appear to need to be replaced however with the cost of those parts a very low mile donor transmission was sourced out. Instead of swapping parts out between the two transmissions, I am looking at swapping the transmissions out entirely however im unsure if the 350z TCM and Valve body are ECU specific (Vehicle specific) or just specific to the transmission they came out of.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Nissan Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!TCM software is vehicle specific and would not be the same between these two vehicles, but a 350z transmission is not interchangeable with a Frontier. A used transmission would need to come from a 2007 (only) Frontier, Xterra or Pathfinder with a 4.0 engine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
From your experience would you be able to elaborate the differences in the RE5R05A transmission in the Nissan 350z (let's say a 2003 model) and the 2007 Nissan frontier 4.0 crew cab non off road package RE5R05A? I've started looking for replacement parts for my current transmission but in all my research couldn't find anyone that could educate me on the differences between the two transmissions. I appreciate your time.
The only transmission that is compatible with the vehicle would be from a 2007 (only) Frontier, Xterra or Pathfinder with a 4.0 engine.Are you needing a transmission or are you needing transmission parts?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Whichever is the more economical route at the moment. Just weighing my options.
Do you know what specific parts need to be replaced?