Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech

It's stuck on second gear the cables appear to be fine but

Customer Question

It's stuck on second gear the cables appear to be fine but they car won't shift out of gear.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: I believe the original
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Ok.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Buick Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: An approximate cost on this fix
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Buick Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry for the long waitwhat year and model Buick is this ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
04 rendezvous
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
is the check engine light on ?will the shifter shift through all the gears like reverse and park ?i am trying to see if this is an issue of it not being able to be physically shifted into the gears or not
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No check engine light. The shifter bar is moving. And fill likes it is locking into gears. But it feels loose like there is nothing connected.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
will reverse work ?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
is the gear display reading correctly for park and reverse and D ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The indicator shows itstuckon second gear.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Won't come off of it.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
ok if you pop off the shift cable can you shift the little bar lever by hand can you shift it by hand so the indicator shows the correct gears ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not sure how to do that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I know what the linkage cables are not the shifting
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
the shift cable connects to the transmission lever and you can pop off the cable with a screwdriverfirst be sure the cable IS connected to the lever if not pop it back on with a pair of pliersif it is connected then pop it off with a screw driver and try to shift the lever by hand