Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines

Ford Expedition 4.6L RWD: 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Customer Question

2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer -- Slip yoke. I'm getting a bumping noise when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Assumed this was the slip-bump commonly reported for slip yokes on Fords. Pulled drive shaft and yoke. Yoke seems to have a small amount of transmission fluid in it, seems sludgy not sure. However the tail section of the transmission (where the slip yoke slides in) has a yellow "fill plug" on the left side. I assume then I should re-connect everything and put transmission fluid in there and that will solve my problem? I can't find anything online about this yellow fill plug but I put a light up to it and I can see the light through the back end of the transmission where the slip yoke goes in, so they're definitely in the same "compartment". Also I assume this "compartment" of the transmission is separate from the rest so that if I did actually grease the slip yoke it wouldn't "infect" the transmission with grease??? Is that valid? Should I just fill that section with transmission fluid? Should I grease it? Is it my choice?
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The condition I have described as the "slip bump" problem is NOT a clunk. It's more of a hard shift preceded by a hesitant shudder, and when it does that it makes more of a thud when it jerks into gear or whatever that and clunk.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also, the outside of the yoke is DRY, but the inside is somewhat moist-ish but inside is not really clean as I would expect if fluid were continually running into it. It's more of a black-ish coating in there on the splines
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and If I did fill the "compartment" with transmission fluid, would it leak?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also, the sludgy fluid inside the yoke seems more brown than red...more like burnt transmission fluid that fresh...but I can't tell really -- could be light oil for all I can tell. It's definitely more brown than red though.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and when I tried to pour it out (it's only a small amount, like a tsp) it came out slowly, more like consistency of dirty oil.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
related, when I put this back together, what are the torque specs on the driveshaft bolts and the flex disc bolts?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think I'm seeing 84 foot pounds for the torque online, so not sure I need that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Never mind. I'm just going with what I have. Seems like everywhere people talk of putting grease on the slip yoke so going with that, with red grease (lucas).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Apparently there are no Ford techs around on Saturday night :)
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The tail shaft housing is lubed by the rest of the transmission oil, not separate oil. That plug you found is where a speed sensor could go because this transmission has been around a while and the speedometer reading use to come from a sensor there. Greasing the slip yoke splines will not hurt but your bump or at least when it occurs does not fall in line with a slip yoke to blame. The driveshaft yoke to axle flange bolt torque is 83 ft lbs.Is the shift issue only effecting coast down 3-2 shift? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Answer was way later than I needed. I did what I did and buttoned her up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So are you telling me I have a transmission problem? I'm planning on changing the fluid & filter this week as well because it hasn't probably been done ever (2nd owner, 150K miles). I have suspected the problem was dirty fluid, clogged ports, etc.
Yes this is a transmission internal issue. Sorry I was to late getting to you. If you no longer want or need help, let me know.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because no rating was selected and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Chris,As I noted, I didn't see an answer from you until after I completed the work and buttoned her up. However, I do plan on changing that fluid in the next week or so and if I continue to have problems, I'll hit you up for a follow up on the transmission. Thanks!Bennett
Thanks for the update, I was just checking on on you because your account was still open and you had not refunded, so I assumed you still needed help based on your last post "So are you telling me I have a transmission problem? "