Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

My 03 dodge dakota keeps dropping out of 4th gear on the highway

Customer Question

My 03 dodge dakota keeps dropping out of 4th gear on the highway and the engine light comes on. Code po740 and po700
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: I change the torque converter solenoid nd and I brought to a transmission guy and he says it needs a rebuild but I don't think soo. I was wondering if I should change the tcm but dose an 03 have a tcm or is it part of the pcm
JA: Anything else I can tell the Dodge Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Robert R replied 8 months ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. What is the condition and color of the transmission fluid? Can you smell the fluid also and let me know if it smells burnt? Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert