Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

Transmissions: I have a 2001 VW Jetta. when put in Drive the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 VW Jetta. when put in Drive the car will not go, I must step on gas slowly and build up RPM's to about 2000 before car will move. once out of first gear the car will transition to 2nd and 3rd gear without difficulty and smoothly. I read the code and it said, P0730 (Gear ratio incorrect). Also, it takes more RPM's to get car moving if it is on a hill or the road is bumpy. I took it to get checked he said Transmission fluid is OK and he will not know anything else until he takes it apart . starting @ $500 to look @ it up to $4000.00 depending on what he finds.
Do you have any insight on the problem.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, sounds like the fluid is not getting through the first gear solenoid and because of the low pressure the clutches are not able to engage fully. It could just be a faulty solenoid, or even just a dirty one. Before letting anyone take the transmission apart, I would try to find a shop in your area that can do a good transmission fluid flush such as a BG (BGPROD.COM) transmission system service. This involves putting a cleaner additive in the transmission, driving it several miles, then flushing all of the old fluid out of the transmission and adding new fluid with a fluid conditioner additive. It works EXTREMELY well and is a good first step because it usually only costs $200 or so. Aside from that, gear ratio codes usually entail pulling the transmission apart to get eyes on what the physical problem may be. Good luck to you and I hope this helps!If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you