rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Transmissions dodge 47re: 01 ram 3500 wont shift out of 1rst

Customer Question

01 ram 3500 wont shift out of 1rst gear
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confidentwe can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies toget to satisfactory results. Please be patient!I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Not much information provided, but check fluid level and color, then drop pan and inspect clutches, shift solenoids and valve body. You can also check the solenoids with a scan tool.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

no codes. clutches are all new. fluid and filter all new and clean

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
If all this is true, then the solenoids need testing with a scan tool.Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

solenoids tested good. i tested them before i installed them

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Make sure your inputs to the computer are correct, or the outputs will be wrong. One of those items I mentioned isn't working, or we would not have a problem right now.Thanks again, Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

can you elaborate?how do i check inputs to the computer?

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
With a lab scope, you need to test the inputs for validity. If they are all good, then the computer is bad. Much testing is needed at this point.Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

if the pcm is bad then wouldnt it show something on the obd scan i was getting a p1693 code for a while no codes at all now

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Please, let's do some testing now. We need solid information and answers from the scope.Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

i dont have a scope.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Sorry, then you need help from a shop. Please don't let this affect my rating because I did give you valid and true information.Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

there has to be other options. wires coming in can be ohm or volt tested? maybe there is a power sdurge? i mean 3 solenoids destroyed the minute i test drive the vehicle.. the transmission had no reverse when i got it. everything else was fine. after i rebuilt reverse worked great but it wont shift out of first gear.all solenoids and switches and sensors are new? assuming sensors and input validity are in the norm, can we skip the input validity testiing for now and move to the next step?

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
I gave you ALL the best information at this point. Please don't forget to rate me for my time.Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

sorry. im just very staisfied with your answer. ive watch dozens of videos on changing the governor solenoids and none of them ever said anything about testing input validity? your responses have been quite vague.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Not vague at all, TRUE. If there were other ways to do this I would have told you. The BEST and EASIEST way that is full proof is to know exactly what to do and my suggestions will do just that. Sorry you're unable or unwilling to do the right thing.Thanks again, Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

i took it upon myself to do a little volt and ohm testing. found a bad connection in the harness. changed harness. all is good.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
My testing would have led you right to that as well. Thanks for the response and please don't forget to rate me for my time.Thanks again,Ron
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

im sure your way would have but when i said i didnt have a scope you said there was no other way, that i needed help from a shop.. i even suggested ohm testing and you accused me of being unwilling. i dont believe you helped me at all. i am asking for a refund

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 8 months ago.
Right.Thanks