Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My 2001 Chevy s10 crew cab 4wd, seems to be kicking out of

Customer Question

My 2001 Chevy s10 crew cab 4wd, seems to be kicking out of 2wd while driving. U have to stop and hit the 2wd button & it will go another short distance & kick out again. Could it be the vacuum switch?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When it kicks out sounds like gears trying to engage but can't. Like its stuck in between 2wd & 4wd.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Chevy Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. The most common cause for this issue here is the transfer case encoder motor.It can "wander" and shift in and out of 2 wd like this here.I have had to replace this encoder motor several times before for this issue here.It is located on the side of the transfer case as shown here.https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f7qdvvxciiqqtl/enc-04-03.gif?dl=0 If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete