ebrock63
ebrock63, Repair shop manager and tech
Experience:  Over 25yrs experience as Shop manager and tech
3195632

Transmissions BMW 745i: I was getting torque converter errors

Customer Question

I was getting torque converter errors so I installed a rebuilt torque converter in my 2003 745i. Now I get vibration when I accelerate. What do you think is the problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 8 months ago.
HI,I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your questionOk, I need a bit more information. At what speed does the vibration start and does it quit when you reach a certain speed?Did you match mark the driveshaft before dropping it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Vibration is there at all speeds and more prevalent when accelerating faster. It doesn't quit.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Ok, where do you feel the vibration - the front end only, the rear end, the whole vehicle? And also, again, did you matchmark the driveshaft before disconnecting it to drop the transmission and replace the torque converter
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will ask my BMW mechanic and get back to you.
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 8 months ago.
HI,Ok, that is a critical part of the repair procedure. There are weights on the driveshaft to balance it and if you dont matchmark the position and reinstall it with having done this, the driveshaft will be out of balance and cause a constant vibration especially on acceleration. The driveshaft would need to come out and be rebalanced to correct it
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 8 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My mechanic is making sure the weights are balanced and it was mark matched. I will let you know when he is done.Doug
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 8 months ago.
HI, Ok, sounds good
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We did everything you suggested. It still vibrates
Expert:  ebrock63 replied 8 months ago.
HI, Ok, the only 2 things left that would cause the vibration is either a broken transmission mount or the torque converter itself is defective out of the box . He needs to double check the transmission mount to ensure he didnt break or separate it and if ok, then it would be the torque converter itself