sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist

It would not shift into overdrive only staying 1stand 2nd gear

Customer Question

it would not shift into overdrive only staying 1stand 2nd gear took it to Oreilly's and the code they saw was 740, took it a repair shop and they are saying the yare seeing the 740 code as well PO218 p1790 and po733 codes as well
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Jeep Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: it is a 2003 grand Cherokee with 197,000
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!You have a couple different things going on. The P0740 is a failure of the torque converter clutch will require replacement of the torque converter at the least.The P0733 and P1790 have set because the transmission input and output speed sensor signals didn't correlate in third gear, which could be the input or output speed sensor or it could be the overdrive clutch slipping.When you first start the engine and take off does it start in first, shift to second and then either slip or freewheel when it should shift into third?