Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I was at a complete stop and my transimission started to

Customer Question

I was at a complete stop and my transimission started to stutter really bad. I let off the gas, and then accelerated again and now it is very slow if at all off the start, and it will not go into reverse. Any suggestions or common problems?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Possibly if it is something relatively easy to fix. Someone told me about a sensor that could cause this but I am not sure. I am now without a vehicle and my work commute is over an hour.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: The ignition will not allow the key to turn back all the way without depressing a button on the bottom side of the ignition. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Can you tell me what year and model your Chevy is please?

Have you checked to make sure the transmission fluid level is okay?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It's a 2008 impala with 3.9l. The fluid level is fine.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Okay if you sure the fluid level is okay then you are likely loosing internal pressure if its shuttering. In order to determine if the problem is an internal failure or an electronic control issue you are going to need to start first with having the computer system scanned to see if the are any fault code setting. If the problem is an electronic control concern there should be codes. If there are no codes then that usually means the transmission has failed. If you can get the scan done and post back with the results I can advise you from there. Most auto parts store can run a scan for you at no charge.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a scanner at home, I can try running that when I get home after work. I will then reply on here. Thank you for the help.Are there any common issues associated with this car's transmissions? I've seen allot of stuff posted online.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

A shudder is usually caused by a failing torque converter or a failed transmission due to loss of internal pressure. Let start first with seeing if there are any fault codes setting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
U will check that when I get home and respond promptly after. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will check. Smart phones....lol
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Sure thing , post back when your ready and we can work from there. Im here all day.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't get home until usually around 6-7pm CST
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Im on Mountain time (2 hours behind you) so I should be here and if not I will respond as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sounds good thank you very much.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Your very welcome.