George H.
George H., ASE Certified
Experience:  Transmission expert

I am repairing a 2003 Mustang 3.8L with auto transmission.

Customer Question

I am repairing a 2003 Mustang 3.8L with auto transmission. The flex plate removed from the transmission does not have a counterbalance. All new flexplates from many different sources all have counterbalance weights. I do not know the history of the vehicle as to engine replacement, etc. Is there a 3.8L that requires an unweighted flexplate?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have it in a local transmission shop. The mechanic is perplexed also.
JA: Is there anything else the Ford Mechanic should be aware of about your Ford?
Customer: not that I am aware of
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  George H. replied 7 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The balance weight is included in case it is the one with the weight. If yours was running without vibration at idle then remove te weight and install it bare.

There are two engines, one with an internally balanced shaft and one that is externally balanced.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How can I identify whether the engine is internally or externally balanced?

What flexplate came off it? One with a weight or one without?

I don't know the ins and outs of the engines but I could research it for you but the flexplates come with the weight. If you don't need it you remove it.

Let me know if the engine ran smooth with the original plate.