rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 1994 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 automatic transmission. It

Customer Question

I have a 1994 ford ranger 4x4 4.0 automatic transmission. It always shifts into reverse. It doesn't always shift into drive or ant forward gears, (which is often). When it does this I wiggle wires to speed sensor and it then shifts, sensor is loose. I just picked this vehicle up and was shown this buy previous owner. Not sure if coincidence?? It then shifts fine and drives. Stop and put in park, it will then be 50/50 to shift into drive again. Not sure if I need to replace transmission or something simple. The 4x4 motor isn't installed but wires hooked to it, just sitting up there. I plan to tighten all that, just got truck yesterday. Just wondering if anything near sensor and 4x4 actuator motor could cause the problem??
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Sounds like a trans issue if the fluid level is correct and clean. Should drop the pan and do an inspection at this point.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you think trans internal issue? Nothing to do with sensor
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

No sensor will cause that on that year vehicle.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.